A little something funny...

The team decided to put together a post of funny things that have happened on their trip:

Ryan AKA Beckham: When playing soccer with the kids at Hannah's Hope the kids came over and started touching my hair and they were convinced that I was... David Beckham!!

Chris: As we were driving along the bumpy dirt road on the edge of a cliff, Kiersten looks out the window and says "oh, we're good, we have 4 inches"

Lisa: We were driving through the hills of Mekele and Ryan thought he might have seen a lion; it ended up being a whole pack of baboons! Our whole van (Kristin, Chris, Eric, Ryan, Kiersten, Kjerstin & Missy) got out and Missy started chasing the baboons and screaming "This is the Lion King!"

Belsa: While attempting to navigate an airport cart out of the airport in Mekele, I bumped into two different doors and then the luggage on my cart toppled over outside and shoes spilled all over the street. The man behind me said "she shouldn't be allowed to drive"

Maria: On the way home from Kerbera we stopped at a small village to take a photo of the camels standing in some one's yard. Liz, Belsa and I were giving toy cars to the kids there; coming down the road was a huge herd of long horn cattle and goats being led by a small child. Next thing we know Belsa and I were in the middle of a herd of cows and goats brushing up against both sides of us.

Kjerstin: It was the second night in the Union Hotel in Addis and I was in our room changing clothes when the door swung open and a man from the hotel walks in looking for something, I screamed because my pants were down and my behind was fully exposed! I scared him away with my scream and then saw him two minutes later.

Missy: Since Lisa wrote about me and my chasing baboons I will write about her! We were going to the airport on Monday morning at about 4am and we're all pushing carts with a ton of luggage (about 20 large bags and personal luggage as well). All of a sudden we hear a loud noise and Lisa scream; we all turn to see she had run herself (and bags and cart) into a huge cement block just sitting in the middle of the sidewalk. Everything fell off and Lisa just stood there in shock while we all were cracking up laughing. Thanks for the wake up call Lisa!

Liz: After our bus broke down on our way back from Kerbera we attempted to take a group photo. After several attempts to get everyone to smile, Almaz decided to use a trick that "always works with my kids". She counted down "three... two... " and then lifted her leg off the ground and made a huge "fart" sound!! Of course that got everyone laughing and now has become the standard way to take group pictures.

Kiersten Jones: I was the lucky one who got to experience the primitive "toilets" first in Ethiopia. A man walked me to a door at the back of his restaurant. The stall is the size of a broom closet. No light, except the light coming through under the door. Waste paper basket. Filthy floor and walls and ceramic "bowl" (think painting tray with a huge hole at the "deep end") which way do I squat do I face the hole and aim? Or do I squat over it and risk brushing my butt against the wall? This story has become less funny as the week has progressed because I've had to do it more than once...

Mary: Early in our trip I called my grandson back in Washington. I told him, he is 8, that I saw a camel walking down the road. His reaction, "Okay, that's kind of freaky and really dangerous!"

Eric: We painted in Dr. Geb's clinic. Since there was no glass in the windows yet, the breeze would come through the room. We were moving quickly spattering paint as we worked. At one point one of the locals sprayed water on the outside that carried through an open window. Many shrieks were heard from those who thought they'd been splattered with paint.

Kristin: While riding in a taxi back to our hotel with only Chris and Lisa, we were discussing "married things". It was a pretty long ride home and a long conversation. As we were about to leave the taxi, Chris has asked our driver his name. It instantly became clear that our taxi driver spoke great English, and understood every word we had exchanged.

Jason: I think I'm funny, but really, I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment